How to Recognize the Signs and Symptoms of Tuberculosis
It is highly likely it could be tuberculosis if you're having a combination of the following:
1. A cough that has lasted for about three months, in which you cough out sputum that, depending on how long you have been infected, contains blood.
2. You have significantly lost weight in the last 3 months or more since the cough started
3. You have been sweating terribly at night since the cough started, that even your bedspread becomes soaked as if water was poured on it.
4. You have been having a fever that is not really high and which comes and goes.
5. Before you had this cough that has lasted for about 3 months, you came in contact with somebody who was coughing seriously. Or you were in a prison for some time or lived in a homeless shelter like internally displaced persons camp. In addition, if you traveled to and returned from an area or region where there's TB outbreak/endemic.
6. If you have been treated for tuberculosis in the past, it is likely it is reoccurring due to reactivation of some of the latent bacteria that couldn't be eradicated by the anti-TB drugs. Also, if you're HIV-positive, there's a chance that you might have TB because HIV makes the body vulnerable to other infections.
If you found this tip useful, don't forget to share with your friends and family with the share button on the top right of this page.
For more advice and help, feel free to ask a Doctor online.
Enable Push Notifications
Other useful Health Tips
Breast Cancer Signs and SymptomsBreast cancer is more likely to be curable if the symptoms are detected early. Early detection and...
Changes You Can Make to Prevent and Manage High Blood PressureHigh blood pressure (also known as hypertension) is the health condition of having blood pressure...
Harmful Effects of Herbal ConcoctionsPeople have been taking herbal concoction such as "Agbo" and "Dongo yaro" for centuries and will...
What you should know about GonorrheaGonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that affects both men and women. It can cause...
Effects of smoking on the chestOver 1 billion people all over the world smoke cigarette, and about 15 billion cigarette sticks are...