Blindness from Glaucoma: Are you at Risk?
Glaucoma is an eye disease that is usually caused by pressure inside the eye that damages the optic nerve. The optic nerve is responsible for transmitting images to the brain, damage leads to distorted vision and blindness.
Glaucoma is often referred to as "the silent thief of sight." This is because it gradually builds up and damages eyesight without obvious symptoms.
This eye disease usually begins with an almost unnoticed gradual loss of side vision (peripheral vision). Early detection and appropriate treatment of glaucoma can help avert the loss of eyesight.
Am I at risk of developing Glaucoma?
While we all are at risk of developing glaucoma, certain people are more prone. The main risk factors for glaucoma include:
• History of intraocular pressure: If you once managed intraocular pressure, you are at risk of developing Glaucoma.
• Decrease in corneal thickness and rigidity: If eye tests reveal a decrease in Corneal thickness and rigidity
• Age over 40 years
• Use of cortisone (steroids): As an inhaler, taken orally or injected.
• Diabetes: People with diabetic retinopathy have an increased risk of glaucoma
• Farsightedness (hyperopia): Farsighted people are prone to having angle closure glaucoma.
• Family history of glaucoma
• History of injury to the eye
While glaucoma cannot be cured, it can be managed if detected early. Regular eye checkups are the only way of guaranteeing you are not losing your vision to Glaucoma.
If you found this tip useful, don't forget to share with your friends and family with the share button on the top right of this page.
For more advice and help, feel free to consult a doctor online.
Enable Push Notifications
Other useful Health Tips
Common Causes Of Abnormal Menstrual BleedingSome women sometimes experience excessive bleeding when they are menstruating, bleeding during...
Effective Home Remedies For Reducing Body OdourLike mouth odour, body odour can be very embarrassing, especially when you are not aware of it but...
Recognizing the Symptoms of DiabetesDiabetes, often referred to by doctors as diabetes mellitus, describes a group of metabolic diseases...
Effective Ways you can Lose WeightMost people who are overweight or obese see it as a problem probably due to their body image as...
Treating Sore Throat with home remediesSore throats can be really irritating; they are usually the first symptom for an incoming cold, a...